Board of Directors
  • Portal Login

  • Access Canvas
  • Student Guides
  • Instructor Guides
menu spacer Students menu spacer Parents menu spacer Military menu spacer Alumni menu spacer menu spacer
menu spacer Calendar menu spacer Directory menu spacer Social MediaSocial Media Options menu spacer Search menu spacer
Show/Hide Background
menu spacer

Int'l - Automobiles & Drivers License

Buying a Car
Most students find that they do not need a car, or that a friend has a car that they can use. But if you find that you would want to buy a car please be smart and purchase wisely. Some things to consider before buying a car are:

  • It costs money to keep the car insured. Most companies charge a monthly fee or a large payment every six months. These could range from $600 every six months to over $1,200 every six months.
  • You must pay to register the car in the state of Missouri.
  • You must have a Missouri Drivers License.
  • You will eventually have to sell the vehicle. Make sure, if you purchase one, that you get a vehicle that will hold its value and you can resell in a year or two. Otherwise, you will need to buy a very cheap car that can be sold very cheaply to a friend before you leave. Do not just leave the car on campus! It will be towed away and you will be billed.
  • Once you buy a car, you accept all liabilities associated with the car until it is registered by a new owner. For example, if you sell a car and do not get a bill of sale, the car is still considered yours. If the new owner was to get a parking ticket before registering the car, it would go on your record, not his!

Drivers License
You must have a drivers license in order to drive in the State of Missouri. To obtain a Missouri drivers license, you must pass a written test, an eye sight test, and a driving test or road test. An appointment may be necessary to take the driving test. An international license or license from your home country will not be considered valid in the state of Missouri. To apply, you will need the following documents:

  • Passport
  • I-94 (must have stamp)
  • I-20
  • Student ID
  • Written verification of attendance at Lindenwood University. (The International Student Center can provide this for you)
It is highly advisable that you study for your written test and to practice for your road test.

Automobile Registration
If you buy a car, you must register it. Requirements for registering a car vary depending on whether the car is new or used and how old the car is. Please check with the Missouri Department of Revenue for more information.

Automobile Insurance
The state of Missouri requires all owners of a vehicle to have automobile insurance. It is essential to have at the very minimum liability insurance that meets the state minimum. You must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times. There are stiff penalties for not having the proof in your car, or for not having insurance on your vehicle.

You should contact several insurance carriers before you purchase a vehicle to see where you can get the best deal.

Seat Belts
The use of seatbelts is mandatory in the state of Missouri. You can be fined for not wearing them.
menu spacer
Page Maintained by the Office of International Students & Scholars  Email Feedback
menu spacer View as Printer Friendly menu spacer Share on Facebook menu spacer Share on Twitter menu spacer
A-Z Index  |  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  J. Scheidegger Center menu spacer 89.1 FM The Wood menu spacer LUTV
Copyright  1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Bookstore   Human Resources   Locations   Maps   News   Publications   Security
Switchboard  (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions  (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions  (636) 949-4933

Viewing Full HTML   |   View Mobile