Board of Directors
  • Portal Login

  • Access Canvas
  • Student Guides
  • Instructor Guides
menu spacer Students menu spacer Parents menu spacer Military menu spacer Alumni menu spacer menu spacer
menu spacer Calendar menu spacer Directory menu spacer Social MediaSocial Media Options menu spacer Search menu spacer
Show/Hide Background
menu spacer

Int'l - Employment as an F-1 Student

As an F-1 Student, you are not eligible for off-campus employment, except for what is listed below. DO NOT RELY ON WORKING OFF CAMPUS TO PAY FOR YOUR TUITION!!! YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SHOW THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR SCHOOL BEFORE YOU ARE GRANTED A VISA.

Curricular Practical Training
Curricular practical training (CPT) is another type of training, available to students who must work as part of their degree requirements. This is for an internship, only! In order to apply for curricular practical training, you must be registered for a course at Lindenwood University that requires off-campus employment, such as an internship course, and you must get a letter from your professor that the credits received for your internship will count towards your degree requirements. The ISO must endorse and approve all applications for CPT.

Paid Internships
If you would like to do a paid internship related to your major, but not as part of a class requirement, you will not be allowed to do so. It must be for academic credit.

Unpaid Internships
If you would like to do an unpaid internship, you do not need to get permission from US CIS.. As long as you are not receiving compensation of any kind, and you are not replacing a paid employee with your internship, you are allowed to do an internship at any off-campus location. A letter from the employer stating that you will not be compensated and that you are not replacing a paid employee must be submitted to the International Student Center.

Economic Hardship
If you suffer from unforeseen financial difficulties, due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be able to apply for work authorization based on economic hardship. In order to apply, you must provide proof that your financial sponsor has unexpectedly suffered financial difficulties. This may be due to sudden fluctuations in your country's currency, a sponsor losing their job, death of financial sponsor, or similar circumstances. You will also have to show that you made genuine attempts to obtain on-campus employment before seeking the economic hardship work permit, and that the on-campus jobs were either not available or were insufficient. Most applications for this authorization are denied.


Social Security Numbers: You may not apply for a social security number unless you have been authorized to work by the United States US CIS.

Optional Practical Training
Optional practical training (OPT) allows F-1 students to gain working experience off-campus in their field of study. While most students choose to use their practical training after they complete their studies, you can actually start practical training while you are still in school. You must be in the United States on a F-1 visa for at least one academic year before applying. The process for obtaining authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) takes about 60 - 90 days. The International Student Center will assist you in completing the application and must endorse you application before it is sent to US CIS. The maximum time for doing practical training is 12 months full-time. You can do part of your practical training before you graduate, and part of it after, although each separate period of practical training requires a $180 fee payable to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

menu spacer
Page Maintained by the Office of International Students & Scholars  Email Feedback
menu spacer View as Printer Friendly menu spacer Share on Facebook menu spacer Share on Twitter menu spacer
A-Z Index  |  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  J. Scheidegger Center menu spacer 89.1 FM The Wood menu spacer LUTV
Copyright  1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Bookstore   Human Resources   Locations   Maps   News   Publications   Security
Switchboard  (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions  (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions  (636) 949-4933

Viewing Full HTML   |   View Mobile