Board of Directors
  • Portal Login

  • Access Canvas
  • Student Guides
  • Instructor Guides
menu spacer Students menu spacer Parents menu spacer Military menu spacer Alumni menu spacer menu spacer
menu spacer Calendar menu spacer Directory menu spacer Social MediaSocial Media Options menu spacer Search menu spacer
Show/Hide Background
menu spacer

Int'l - Visas

To study at Lindenwood University, you must obtain the appropriate F-1 visa from the American Embassies and Consulates.

Lindenwood University can only accept an F-1 visa. For more information on how to get a visa to study in the United States, please go to the United States State Department’s Education USA website.

F-1 visa
Most international students come to Lindenwood University on the F-1 student visa. In order to apply for the visa you will need to obtain the Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student. Lindenwood University will issue the Form I-20 once you have been admitted to the university. To be admitted, you must submit all documents and appropriate fees included with your application. The I-20 can only be issued to students who plan to study full-time. To apply for an F-1 visa, please contact the nearest embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

J-1 visa
Students on short-term exchange programs come to some American Schools on a J-1 student visa. Lindenwood University is not authorized to accept this type of visa.

B-1/B-2 Tourist visa
If your intent is to come to the United States to study, it is not advisable to come on a tourist visa. Most requests to change from tourist to student status are denied by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Consult for more information.

B-2 "prospective student" Visa
Prospective student visas are appropriate for students who have been admitted to more than one school, but have not decided which school they will attend. It is relatively easy to change your visa status from prospective student to F-1 status once you enroll at the University of your Choice. Consult for more information.

Visas for Dependents
If your dependents would like to stay with you in Lindenwood, they may apply for a Dependent Visa (F-2). The primary visa holder must show the ability to financially sponsor the dependent(s). Dependents will have their own I-20. Dependents of F-1 visa holders may not engage in part- or full-time study, except for unmarried minor children in K-12 programs, and are not allowed to engage in any type of employment.

Dependents of J-1 visa holders are allowed to study and also permitted to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) in order to be employed in the United States. Consult for more information.

Renewing F-1 visas
It is not possible to renew your F-1 visa in the United States. If you are a continuing Lindenwood University student who will be traveling outside the United States and will need to renew your F-1 visa, you should bring along your Lindenwood University transcripts, and transcripts from other schools attended in the United States. Also please be sure that your I-20 has been recently signed on page 3. The International Student Center can issue visa renewal recommendation letters for students if they have maintained their F-1 status while at Lindenwood University. In addition to these items, students should be prepared to present the other items required for applying for an F-1 visa.

Changing visa status in the U.S.
The International Student Center will refer students to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for change of visa status. Consult for more information.

At the port-of-entry to the United States, be sure that you present the I-20 of Lindenwood University. The school named on your visa must be a match to the school on the I-20, only if it is the first time you are using your I-20. You may also be asked for bank statements or other proof that the sponsor on your I-20 has sufficient funds to cover your yearly expenses. Be sure that you will be entering the United States before the report date in item 5 of your I-20. If you arrive after the report date, you may be refused entry to the United States.

menu spacer
Page Maintained by the Office of International Students & Scholars  Email Feedback
menu spacer View as Printer Friendly menu spacer Share on Facebook menu spacer Share on Twitter menu spacer
A-Z Index  |  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z  J. Scheidegger Center menu spacer 89.1 FM The Wood menu spacer LUTV
Copyright  1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Bookstore   Human Resources   Locations   Maps   News   Publications   Security
Switchboard  (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions  (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions  (636) 949-4933

Viewing Full HTML   |   View Mobile