Lindenwood University

View Full HTML Version

Current Students

We’re glad you opted to be part of our growing Journalism program at Lindenwood University.  We hope this page provides you with information about how to make the most of your time here.  Below, are some frequently asked questions current students have about navigating the academic landscape. 

In regards to university official policies and procedures, the below question and answer section offers a brief overview.  Students should reference the course catalog for official university policies and procedures.

How do I know what courses I’m supposed to take to complete my degree?
As you make your way through our School of Communications programs, you should always reference the course catalog.  In addition, we’ve created program planning guide sheets that corresponds with the catalog year you enrolled at Lindenwood University.  You’ll frequently hear communications faculty refer to these guides as “bingo sheets.”  You can find these here, or on the shared PC Common drive.  Look for the folder called, “Program Planning Guides.”  As a general rule, students will meet with their advisors twice a year to select courses for the upcoming semester.  You will not be able to register for courses online without first meeting with your academic advisor.  Your advisor must “unlock your student portal,” as the terminology goes.

How to I know who my academic advisor is?
Your academic advisor should be listed in your student portal.  Most likely, your advisor is a fulltime faculty person who teaches in your major.   Academic Services can help you track down this information. See our list of School of Communications faculty for additional questions.

How can I change advisors and officially declare a new major or minor?
If you wish to change advisors to someone in our journalism program, contact Program Chair Jill Falk.  You’ll need to pick up a “Change of Advisor” form from the Academic Services department, located in the basement of Roemer Hall.  Visit your new advisor for his or her signature. 

Should I add a minor?
Technically, you aren’t required to have a minor to complete your degree.  But should you?  We think so.  You may not enjoy math, but hear us out on this part.  You need 128 hours to complete your Bachelor of Arts degree.  Of the 128 required credit hours, 49 are general education requirements.  The journalism major requires either 54 or 57 credit hours—depending on which emphasis you choose—print or broadcast.  If you subtract 49 general education hours and 54 or 57 major hours from 128, you’re left with 25 or 22 credit hours you still need to graduate.  Sure, you can take electives, but most minors can range from 18-30 credit hours.  We believe it’s important for journalism majors to have knowledge in other subject areas.  For a list of available minors, check out the course catalog.

When do I register for classes?
Great question, we’re glad you’re thinking ahead!  Students register for the upcoming semester’s classes according to predetermined dates noted in the academic calendar.  Your registration date depends on how many credit hours you’ve earned at the end of your last *completed* semester.  Here are the class designations: freshmen = 0-23 credit hours, sophomores = 24-53 credit hours, juniors = 54-83 credit hours, seniors = 84 credit hours and above.

How can I add or drop a class?
Scheduling classes can be the most stressful task students worry about besides taking exams.  Your first step should be checking the academic calendar for important add/drop deadlines.  Then, consult with your academic advisor and make sure you’re on the right track with course planning.  The ability to add or drop a course online via your portal isn’t always an option.  If the online schedule change window has closed, then you’ll need an Add/Drop form signed by your advisor.  You can find those forms in Academic Services, located in the basement of Roemer Hall.  Depending on when you’re dropping the course, you may need the signature of the course’s instructor.  See the academic calendar.  You will always need your advisor’s signature on the Add/Drop form. 

I’d like to get involved in campus media, who do I contact?
Now, you’re talking.  Getting involved with our campus media is the quickest way to gain a competitive edge in the media world.  We welcome your involvement at any grade level.  Any of our fulltime journalism faculty can point you in the right direction, but here is some general contact information to get you started:

How can I locate internship opportunities and earn college credit?
Speaking of a competitive edge, we encourage our students to pursue internships.  In fact, each of our School of Communications programs offers internship credit as part of their major requirements.  You can usually find information about available opportunities by visiting the company’s website.  In addition, we have compiled an internship pageBut, keep in mind we have some rules about who represents our program in the community.  In order to earn credit for an internship, our course catalog, states you must be a least a junior and have a 3.0 GPA in order to officially register for internship credit.  With those two requirements in mind, your next step is to contact School of Communications Dean, Mike Wall, for your information packet.  He can also answer any more specific questions you may have about internships.

Copyright 1827 - Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301
Switchboard (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions (636) 949-4933