At A Glance:
The Foreign Language Department at Lindenwood University offers a comprehensive program of studies in French and Spanish, as well as a two-year foundation course in German and a one-year sequence in Mandarin Chinese. (Russian is also available as an independent study.) Our primary goal is to prepare our students for citizenship in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual global community, helping them to develop both linguistic competence and cultural literacy.
In the first two years of study, we concentrate on the acquisition of functional language skills and the development of students' understanding of the foreign culture and civilization through training in listening, comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing in the target language.
Beyond the intermediate level, we work on advanced language proficiency and cultural awareness through significant exposure to the literature and culture of the country or countries studied, giving our students the opportunity to experience literary masterpieces in their original languages and to enhance their knowledge of the traditions, achievements, and lifestyles of the international community and an appreciation of the differences and similarities among peoples.
These studies provide a foundation for graduate study in foreign languages and literature and prepare those who wish to become foreign-language teachers to meet the professional standards represented by the PRAXIS examinations. We also encourage travel and study in foreign countries and foster double majors, such as language/education or language/business, in order to enhance students' professional qualifications.
Advantages of the LU Foreign Languages program
- Yearly January excursions to France, Germany, and Spanish-speaking countries
- 2002 trip to France
- 2003 trip to Germany
- 2004 trips to France and to Guatemala (click here to see photos of the trips to France and Guatemala)
- 2005 trips to Germany and to Costa Rica (click here to see photos of the trips to Germany and Costa Rica)
- 2006 trip to Ecuador
- 2007 trip to Peru
- 2008 trip to Costa Rica
- 2010 trip to Guatemala
- 2011 trip planned to Costa Rica
- Study abroad semester in France: French majors spend the second semester of their junior year studying at the Université de Caen and living with a French host family
- Study abroad semester Costa Rica. Spanish majors & minors spend the second semester of their junior year studying in Heredia, Costa Rica and living with a Costa Rican host family
- Possibility of studying abroad for a semester through an individually-designed program
- Active participation in campus language clubs and the French National Honor Society, Pi Delta Phi and Spanish National Honor Society, Sigma Delta Pi
- Yearly foreign language awards
- Opportunity to work with and learn from native speakers of Spanish and French through the Conversation Partner Program
- Foreign Language Scholarships available to incoming freshmen planning to major in French or Spanish
- New computer and listening labs for use by language students