The auditorium at Lindenwood University’s largest satellite campus in Belleville, IL., has been named recipient of a 2008 Historic Site Award from the St. Clair County Historical Society.
The auditorium was one of seven buildings to receive an award, which are bestowed bi-annually to buildings at least 75 years old that have undergone notable renovations.
“We are extremely proud to receive this award from the St. Clair County Historical Society,” said James D. Evans, Ph.D., president of Lindenwood University. “We plan to hang our recognition plaque above the auditorium’s front entrance, so all who enter will know of its historical significance.”
The auditorium, designed in 1927 by famed architect William B. Ittner, had fallen into disrepair until Lindenwood University took ownership of the former Belleville West High School campus in 2003.
By the end of 2005, the university completed a $2 million renovation of the building’s interior and exterior. The restoration of the auditorium is just one of many projects the university plans to complete during its long-term campus revitalization plans. When the work is finished, Lindenwood plans to have invested more than $5.5 million improving the 20-acre campus.
Lindenwood University, founded in 1827, is an independent liberal arts university offering 84 undergraduate degree programs and 37 graduate programs in diverse areas of study¬in traditional and accelerated formats.
Lindenwood operates a residential campus in historic St. Charles, as well as 10 extended sites throughout the St. Louis Metropolitan area.
|1827-2014 Lindenwood University • 209 S. Kingshighway • St. Charles, MO 63301|
|Switchboard (636) 949-2000
Undergraduate Admissions (636) 949-4949
Evening & Graduate Admissions (636) 949-4933